Saturday, April 14, 2007

Cold Spring

It’s been cold again today. It seems like winter came back. I went to see my vegetable plants at the back yard again and the leaves of my sweet potato (camote) is turning brown already. Also my cantaloupe seedlings are also turning a lil’ bit brownish all because of the cold temperature. My tomatoes and eggplant are still green though. I guessed I planted my vegetables early. When I planted them the weather was already warm and it’s been spring time but all of a sudden, cold weather decided to come back. Texas weather is really unpredictable. It changes so quick, like a fickle-minded lady. I’m waiting for the vegetable seeds that I sowed to germinate. I sowed different kinds of seeds and I’m keeping my fingers cross that they will soon spring out. Those vegetable seedlings that I planted, I bought them at Sutherlands except for the sweet potato.

Last year, my vegetable garden provided me fresh organic vegetables like tomatoes, squash, okra, bitter melon (ampalaya), string beans and bell pepper. I wish and pray that my garden will do good again this year. In our frontyard, my flowering plants are coming back like the sweet william, hibiscus, azalea, roses, lantana, mums, irises, and hydrangea. It was so windy yesterday that the flowers of my azalea got blown by the wind. The daffodils didn’t have flowers this time because it got so cold when they were about to bloom so the flowers withered before they bloomed. I like to plant perennial plants so they come back each year. I got tired planting annuals and they will just die during winter. It’s just a waste of time and money. I’m glad that my flowering plants are so green and my roses are about to bloom. I really love gardening. It thrills me when I see the flowers bloom and also when I reap my vegetables. There’s joy in sowing and reaping. I thank God for His bountiful blessings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment